baby growth

Jan 16, 2010

New Year, New Everything

After leaving my previous company on the last day of 2009, I had what, three days of rest, which did not amount to much when you have an 8-mth old slave-driver.

I started at my new job on the 4th of Jan, worked all the way until yesterday, the 15th of Jan before I could turn my alarm clock off and sleep till the sun shines on my butt. But I am not complaining because it was a whole lot of fun.

The best part about it was I had a chance to work with young adults (old kids) physically, and it was good in the sense that their enthusiasm and willingness to learn rubbed off on me, a sceptic that has been through four years in the working society. After being put through the working class crash course, we see our dreams drift away, unfairness in the office and see ourselves being taken for granted or overworked for peanuts. So, it was a good experience to forget all this and for awhile (even if it was just two days) remember what it was like to have dreams, and the world at the tip of your hands.

The new office was a huge change to my previous two jobs, working-condition-wise. One of the best features was that I did not have to punch in or out; nobody keeps track on when you come in to work or what time you left for home the previous night. The downside to this is that there is a reason this came to be, and I'm quite sure it's not because the boss is a generous bloke (he's in truth a really nice guy, down-to-earth and gets his hands dirty all the time).

Whatever it was that they told you in the interview room, they expect more from you when you are become an actual staff member. One, you have to help out with the events that were carried out by the company, including fairs, dinners, team-building adventures, get-together lunch, seminars, etc. In this month alone, I helped out at a fair and next week there will be an appreciation dinner for company clients.

The new job truthfully is taking a lot of my personal time, either from introducing me to fatigue that prevents me from enjoying my daughter's company after working hours, or by making me work weekends and staying back after the dusk. But I do have a better sense of accomplishment in what I do, and I'm making more of a difference (even if it is just a little bit more) currently than I have in the past four years.

I'm just hoping that the sacrifices I've had to make is worth it on the long run.


No comments: