baby growth

Jul 9, 2011

WHY BERSIH 2.0 IS IMPORTANT FOR MALAYSIA

I am not affiliated with any political party. I am only loyal to my family, my husband, my daughter and my parents, not necessarily in that order. 

Today, in my country, Malaysia, people took to the street in peaceful demonstration to ask for a reform of the electoral process in Malaysia, a democratic country. 

The government did all it could to stop people from attending the rally: conducted road blocks, rejected permits for the rally - making it illegal, put up road closures on the night before the rally, shut down light rail transit stations, issued warnings via mainstream media, news stations, the mainstream dailies, on radio, via advertisements to ask that nobody attend the rally. 

And what happened? This.


Visit bersih.org or the facebook page for Bersih 2.0 for more photos, but while you're here, here is what the rally was all about.


This has gone far enough. The powerful bully the weak. They pull strings and 'mismanage funds' and while many Malaysians are still oblivious of how they are being cheated out of their honest earnings by the corrupted, I am lending my support to the Bersih cause because of my daughter. We are still a long way from being a corrupt-free country, but today I learn of a quote that I will remember for the rest of my life.
If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace - Thomas Paine.
Peace. [Yeah, that would be nice.]

No comments: