baby growth

Dec 6, 2009

CHANGE IS POSSIBLE


It is set. I've been given a new lease in life.

I'm switching jobs.


Based on first impressions, the new job will be challenging, full of surprises and perhaps will take a lot more out of me than my current job does. But then again, they're paying me better. Plus, I get to go out and meet and greet more people. Focus on the 'go out'.

In a previous post of mine, Change, where I [somewhat] counted my blessings after achieving motherhood status, I wrote that I've learned to let things fall into place instead of working towards making all the puzzles fit. In my quest for a better job with a brighter future, the experience has become a definition of the statement, sort-of.

The first realization

Through the power of the Internet and new technology I was able to meet up with a long lost aunt of mine whose mother was a sister to my grandfather. The last connection we probably had disappeared long before my parents got married, and hence was gone before I was even conceived.

Brought together by the common interest of following my uncle's (her cousin's) participation in a local singing competition, we've exchanged emails and a dream to be able to organize and hopefully run a successful family reunion in two year's time.

It was during one of these exchanges when she asked if I was a journalist, the conclusion made judging from the writings in my blog. I replied no. Later I would become saddened by the fact that the best part of me, pointed out to me by one who I've yet to met, would be forever hidden by my lack of execution in achieving what I've always wanted to do: write.

Opportunities and chances.

It would be three months later before jobstreet pointed me to the direction of a job ad, the contents stating an interest for a new writer.

The requirements stated there: I fitted like a glove. It could have been nothing more than a coincidence. But then, many great inventions and discoveries came from coincidences. They became known only because someone took notice and discovered the importance of it.

I then sent my resume. But since I've got nothing to show for my writing skills, I wrote an informal covering letter which I sent with resume through email. It was attention-grabbing, bold and straight to the point. Later I would find out that it was the determining factor of me getting the first interview, which was scheduled a week after.

During my preparation for the interview, I re-read the job ad only to find that I was supposed to submit a 500 to 800 worded published work along with my resume. The discovery rattled me. I was surprised as to how I could have missed out such an important requirement. And I'm a bloody editor. I'm not supposed to be that sloppy if I am supposed to be a good one.

At the end of the first interview, I apologized to the person who arranged the interview for me and thanked her profusely for giving me a chance even when I had not provided all the necessary paperwork. She told me that the requirement was added after I, and several other candidates, had sent in our resumes.

When you apply for a job as a writer, you're supposed to send in writing samples. Otherwise, we won't be able to tell if you are good enough for the job.

The simple logic hit me straight in the face. But then...

Since everyone wrote in without providing writing samples, I decided to give a chance to those with cover[ing] letters. And based on yours, I thought "Hmm.. she sounds interesting. Let's give her a shot."

I mentally rubbed a huge drop of sweat from my forehead and made a mental note to give more trust to my instincts in future.

More coincidences.

I was the third candidate and since I have been to the area often enough to understand the rough landscape, I got to the place quite easily. It gave me an advantage over the previous two candidates who got hopelessly lost. Can't blame them. The place is a maze.

The editor in charge hit it off pretty well with me. We came from quite similar backgrounds. We started from zero (relatively speaking) and we both are not Chinese-educated and have glancing proficiencies on Mandarin. I can also assist her in some editing and she seemed to be satisfied with my editing skills.

During the first interview, I was asked if this would be a career change for me, from being the editor of academic publishing books to being a senior writer, one who needs to go out and interview people, conduct and carry out talks in schools and such. Looking back, I was satisfied with the answer I gave her; that it would not seem to be a career change for me, but more of a change of pace since I am quite confident I can do all the things as required in the ad. But saying is cheap, doing is gold. And I intend to prove myself.

Expectations

I was made to understand that the group of people I will be working with are very smart people and there is no salary scale in the new company. In return for this kind of environment, I will be required to be dedicated to the job and extremely hardworking. Thus far, I had not lied about anything during the interview or in my resume. But expectations are subjective and things will always change. That is how life is, right? Change is always eminent.

As seen on an autopay machine in The Gardens, next to Midvalley Mega mall: Change is Possible.

1 comment:

Chen Chow said...

I guess I should say Congratulations for getting your new job! :) Happy that this new job fits you better and gives you better role and better pay!

Best wishes from staff of JobStreet.com