baby growth

Aug 27, 2009

Reading - The Ultimate Pastime

I read Enid Blyton as I was growing up in the small town of Tawau in Sabah (part of Borneo, where Sipadan Island and Pulau Tiga is).

By 12, I read Agatha Christie (Who killed Roger Ackroyd?) and Sir Author Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

At 15, it was Shakespeare (the abridged versions because who reads the originals?): The Merchant of Venice was my favourite.

In university, I read Jeffrey Archer. I love practically all his works except the Prison Diaries.

In the first year I came out to work, I read Dan Brown (love the concept, not so keen on the story), and Kate Mosse. As well as the last book in the Harry Potter series. I love JK Rowling.

Now I read just about any book that comes recommended... and some that don't. But who sets rules when it comes to reading?

Currently, I have at hand A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer (forever a fan of his) and let me say that this is what it feels like when one says "someone has to prise me off the book".

It mirrors the story known as The Count of Monte Cristo. Edward Dumas, and his love Mercedes has been replaced with modern-day Danny Cartwright and Beth. Instead of a Count, the protagonist is now a knight, a Sir. There were many other similarities between the two stories but so far, in the reviews I've read, no one said anything about Mr Archer ripping off the original.

By the way, Jeffrey Archer was a member of parliament, and has been incarcerated before. The circumstances on which he was put away shows heavily on this new book, which would explain how he could tell effectively how one can get framed for a crime he didn't commit, quite easily. He has since declared his withdrawal from politics and will focus fully on his writing. Which I think is good news for fans like me *grins*.

I have not reached the end of the book, trying very hard to but with a 4-mth old brat at the side, you find time slipping out of your hand like grains of sand. Looking forward to his trademark twist-in-the-tale climax. One thing's for sure.. Jeffrey Archer never disappoints.


1 comment:

LiLiN said...

u are such a bookworm.
no wonder dad wants me to be more like u. =.=