baby growth

May 15, 2009

Let's play 20 things

Okay, she has done this and I could not resist doing my own list. So here goes.

= 20 things that change when you have a baby =

• You discover an inner strength you never realised you had.
Quite true especially when you're trying to deal with painful internal organs. Apart from that, I'm still in my confinement so strength is not something I have in abundance.

• You accept that the last 15 pregnancy pounds you can't seem to shift are absolutely worth it.

I hope it won't come to that.

• You don't need a clock any more - your baby now sets your daily schedule.
Yes, I sleep at odd hours during the day and wake up very easily at night. More precisely at 4 am every morning. That's when the Empress feeds and poops. Yes, she poops when there is no sunlight.

• You respect and love your own parents in a new way.
I thought it wasn't possible to love my parents more than when they did so much for my wedding but I really do have greater appreciation and respect for them after figuring out that they DID THIS FOUR TIMES (I have three sisters) whereas I'm only at Baby number 1 and already shocked beyond belief how much work a baby is. Ok, I kid. But babies are a lot of work.

• Any pain your baby suffers feels much worse than your own.
Ya, your body may be immune to tiredness, your boss' wrath, the pain from surgery or from bad chilli but once the little guy or girl cries, you feel like your heart is being slice with every cry your baby releases. They are quite good with the pity cry. It's the one that makes you go weak in the knees yet makes you run at lightining speed to get to them at the same time.

• You don't mind going to bed at 9pm on a Friday night.
Can I go at 8 pm?

• Your heart breaks much more easily.
Ya, mine breaks when she cries because she just pooped, when she can't poop, when she is hungry, when she is in the bath or when she cries for no good reason.

• You discover how much there is to say about one little baby tooth.
Heck, we got a lot to talk about the shape and colour of her poo.

• You look at your baby in the mirror instead of yourself.
Haven't reached this. Don't have time to look at a mirror.

• You're no longer disgusted by babies' bodily functions - in fact, you're fascinated by them (hooray, a poo!)
Seeing poo is a good thing. That means she is pooing normally and she is not in pain. It's when she doesn't poo that you worry.

• The sacrifices you thought you'd made to have a baby no longer seem that big a deal.
Yet to be seen.

• You respect your body ... finally.
Like I said, yet to be seen.

• You realise that a baby's comforter has magical powers!
I don't even understand what this sentence means. Where I live, the days are 32C and the nights are 26C. Whatchu want a comforter for?

• You give parents with a screaming baby an "I-know-the-feeling" look, instead of a "Can't-they-shut-him-up?" one.
I'm still on the latter one.

• You make time for one more baby hug and kiss, even if it means you'll be late.
I figure I'd just bring her to work every day =)

• You realise that it's possible to love a complete stranger.
She's not a stranger, she's family.

• You learn that taking a shower is a luxury, never mind a trip to the hairdresser's.
I'm in confinement. Taking a shower is the jackpot!

• You finally get to speak to the shy neighbour in your street, because you've got a baby in your arms.
They started talking to me more when they saw that my tummy is bigger than their heads.

• You find that things that once seemed important are now meaningless.
Truth be told, yeah.

• Every day is a surprise.
Yes, I'm surprised I sleep at 4 hr intervals and can still walk straight every day.


No comments: